The summer heat in Florida can be especially brutal considering an increase in a woman’s body temperature can trigger a hot flash. Here are simple lifestyle tips and hormone balancing solutions to help women avoid unwanted hot flashes this summer.
Lifestyle Changes to Combat Hot Flashes
- Dress Cool: By cool, we mean lightweight fabrics, shorts, dresses, and loose-fitting items that can handle any increased perspiration during humid weather. Quick-drying fabrics like cotton, linen, and moisture-wicking blends are the key to success. Avoid silk, leather, wool, nylon, and other fabrics that can retain heat and moisture. Likewise, avoid dark-colored clothing, which may also absorb heat.
- Beat the Heat: Obviously, finding cool shade and avoiding excess time in direct sunlight is important for limiting the risk of hot flashes and heat-related illnesses like dehydration and heat stroke. You can also keep it cool by drinking plenty of chilled water. Experts suggest drinking at least 8 ounces of water every hour in hot environments.
- Carry a Fan: Keep a small, hand-held fan in your purse or car for when you feel the heat. The breeze can help cool you down when a hot flash surprises you this summer. A cool compress or icepack can also do wonders for quickly lowering your body temperature.
- Limit Alcohol and Caffeine: Many women don’t realize that drinking alcohol can raise their body temperature, which means a greater risk of hot flashes. Caffeine can also raise body temperature in addition to raising your heart rate and blood flow.
- Avoid Hot & Spicy Foods: Similar to alcohol and caffeine, hot-temperature food and spicy food can both raise your body temperature. Experts suggest choosing healthy fruits and vegetables during the summer months to keep your body nourished and hydrated.
- Stay Fit and Stop Smoking: Achieving a healthy balance in life is important for all women, and quitting smoking can be one of the best ways to improve your overall health. In addition to not smoking, maintaining a healthy weight can help reduce several menopausal symptoms.
Hormone Therapy and Supplements
Qualified physicians can provide helpful solutions for hot flashes, weight control, and other menopausal symptoms due to hormonal imbalances. For example, Weight Success Centers, LLC in Tampa is a certified provider of BioTE, a subcutaneous pellet type of Bioidentical Hormone Therapy (BHT) helping both women and men to balance hormones. The pure hormone pellets dissolve completely and produce no byproducts. For women, pellets typically are administered every three to four months for achieving balanced hormones, stabilized mood, improved muscle mass, weight loss, and other benefits.
BHT uniquely uses hormones that are identical to the hormones your body already produces, as opposed to synthetic hormone replacements. As with any supplement or medical treatment, results and benefits will vary depending on each individual person. If you are ready to begin your journey to wellness, contact Weight Success Centers for a consultation.
How do you beat the heat? Have you found vitality and success with hormone therapy or other solutions to relieve symptoms of hot flashes? Share your story and join the conversation on Weight Success Centers’ social media sites.