Everything is requiring a bit of extra planning during 2020, and Thanksgiving will be no exception. In addition to recipes and shopping, you will have a few more planning items to cross off your list this year. Fortunately, the physicians at Florida-based Weight Success Centers LLC have compiled expert tips to help you enjoy safe holiday events and a healthy Thanksgiving.
Safe Preparations for the 2020 Holiday Season
Many Americans will be bucking tradition and shifting our focus from turkey to safety due to the pandemic. Holiday guidelines are available from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), which encourage staying home to protect yourself and others this year. For those wanting to see family and friends, the CDC recommends gathering around the computer screen for a virtual meal instead of sharing a table.
With that said, our experts understand that small groups (10 or fewer people) may still want to gather. In this case, outdoor dining is recommended. Florida is one of the best places to live during the holidays because outdoor dining is a lovely option. Here are suggestions for planning those outdoor meals.
Outdoor Dining Planning and Set-Up
- Beautifully decorate your outdoor dining table with centerpieces and formal dinnerware.
- Plan a formal seating chart to keep people of the same household next to one another.
- Distance chairs several feet apart from one another to allow space between your guests.
- Supply hand sanitizers and use disposable paper napkins instead of cloth napkins and towels.
- Encourage guests to wear masks around any individuals that do not live in the same household.
Healthy Meal Planning and Safety
- Perform frequent handwashing and wear gloves when cooking, cleaning, or serving food.
- When preparing foods, make healthy substitutions, such as skim milk in place of whole milk.
- Cook with lighter marinades and a dusting of herbs, rather than fatty sauces and salts.
- Include colorful vegetable dishes and healthy options with immune-boosting nutrients.
- Instead of germ-prone buffet style, experts recommend serving plated food to guests this year.
- Offer moderate portion sizes so as not to overserve guests, although offer seconds to be polite.
We understand this year will be a bit different, but perhaps some of these safe and healthy swaps will become new traditions for future years. As you celebrate the holidays and look forward to the new year, the physicians and experts at Weight Success Centers remain ready to support your wellness goals. Contact our Florida-based centers for more information about weight loss plans, healthy living, and medical solutions for maintaining good health.
How will you enjoy a safer and healthier Thanksgiving 2020? Join the conversation on Weight Success Centers’ social media sites and find more great tips to share with your friends and families.