This could be one of the most health-conscious holiday seasons on record. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Floridians of all ages are putting a focus on staying healthy and protecting the health of their loved ones during the holidays. From immune-boosting foods to stress-reducing activities, the experts at Florida-based Weight Success Centers, LLC have tips for planning your 2020 holiday season.
Ways to Keep Healthy during the Holidays
1.Consume Immune-Boosting Foods: Citrus foods containing vitamin C as well as leafy greens and foods with beneficial nutrients like zinc and vitamin D can all support your immune system.
2. Add Ingredients to Fight Infection: Some of the best anti-viral and anti-bacterial foods are garlic, ginger, lemon, and honey, which have been helping people fight illnesses for centuries.
3. Increase Water Consumption: Travel, high-sugar treats, and alcohol consumed during the holidays can all deplete energy and cause dehydration. Now is the time to drink more water.
4. Choose Healthy Holiday Beverages: Enjoy a cool cranberry spritzer packed with antioxidants or a peppermint herbal tea for a taste of the holidays. To support immunity, make a steamy cup of hot water with chopped ginger, fresh lemon juice, and raw honey.
5. Avoid Overeating: Moderation is easier said than done during the holidays, but now is an important time to avoid overeating and limit dishes with excess fat, sugar, or salt, which could make you feel sluggish or rundown.
6. Stay Active and Get Your Exercise: Stick to your regular exercise routine even during the busy holiday season. Physical activity, such as daily walks or workouts, is essential for keeping healthy.
7. Stay Close While Distancing: Social-distancing measures are critical for keeping healthy and avoiding illnesses this year, but you can leverage technology for social connections. Social media and video-chat platforms will be essentials for safely spreading the holiday spirit this year.
8. Avoid Indoor Gatherings: The CDC’s holiday guidelines recommend gathering around the computer screen for a virtual meal instead of sharing a table. Staying 6-feet apart and wearing a mask is important when gathering in-person with folks from outside your household. Also, remember that outdoor settings are often safer than indoors. Fortunately, we live in Florida, which boasts beautiful outdoor weather this time of year.
9. Tis the Season for Sanitizing: Cleaning, handwashing, and using hand sanitizer are all important for limiting the risk of exposure to bacteria and viruses at home, at work, while holiday shopping, and during other activities. Also, consider wearing gloves when cooking, cleaning, or serving food.
10. Make Daily Meditation a Priority: The hustle and bustle of the holiday season always adds stress, which can be overwhelming on top of a year like 2020. Add deep-breathing exercises or meditative visualizations to your daily routine. Coloring, games, and holiday movies can also help relieve stress.
The physicians and experts at Weight Success Centers are happy to provide more information about healthy living, weight loss plans, and medical solutions for maintaining good health. Contact us today to take your first step to better health!
Do you have other tips for keeping healthy during the holidays? Join the conversation on Weight Success Centers’ social media sites and find more great tips to share with your friends and families.